Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lakota at heart

It all started when I saw a documentary on NRK (the Norwegian broadcasting corporation) about the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. A Norwegian journalist visited the reservation ten yrs, ago, and now he was back to update the story. Little had changed. and what had changed was for the worse. I cried for the proud indigenous Lakota's. These are the stats for the reservation: http://www.backpacksforpineridge.com/Stats_About_Pine_Ridge.html It's far from uplifting.

I started my research. I searched all over the internet for information about the Indigenous people of America. And every time the Lakota was mentioned, I started crying. I couldn't help myself, and started wondering why? Then I got a feeling I had been one of them myself. In another time, another life. I saw the movie "Bury my heart at Wounded Knee", and I cried through the whole movie. I am crying now as I write about it. Something deep within me gets really upset, and I just can't stop crying. These people are my relatives, my brothers and sisters, I am sure of it. I've seen dozens of documentaries and cried millions of tears for the past few weeks. My strong instincts, my intuition if you will, draws me to the Oglala Lakota's.

So I have learned about the Lakota's past, and present. Now what about the future for these people? My people! It's a disgrace they have to live in such poor conditions and in such great poverty. It's a shame.

I started thinking what can I do? I searched through hundreds of support organizations, voluntary organizations etc. I live too far away to do anything immediate. I don't have the money to donate at the moment, but I will asap. SO, what can I do? I can dream, and I can plan for the future. I can research, and learn about their proud heritage. Their wonderful spirituality and culture. Their history..

I know I will have a lot of resources later in life. (I am truly blessed!) That be time and money, which both are crucial for wanting to put my dream into life in the future. I want to be a part of this society. I want to do everything I can to help. I want to fund build/ restore houses, fix plumbing, electricity, water, sewage etc. I want to help give hope to the children and teenagers. get the suicide rates down. Help them feel proud of who they are, where they come from and hopes and dreams for the future. Have them play, live and laugh in a safe and healthy environment.

Yes, I am white. I haven't even been across the Atlantic Ocean. No, I don't know anything about being Native American, or life in the reservation, or hundreds of years of being betrayed. But I know about life and I certainly know about loss. I do have lots of love and respect for the Native people of America. I can empathize, although I have no clue what they are going through. I can, however, try to imagine how it feels, and put myself in his/ hers situation....

No comments: